Monday, August 18, 2008

The Diplomat's Wife by Pam Jenoff



I discovered this novel a couple of weeks ago, while browsing through Chapters bookstore. I wrote down the title, and then came home and checked to see if the library had it ~ they did. So, I told myself I’d take it out and read it at a later date.

Then, in the library last week, I had gone in to just drop off a book or two, and decided, “What the heck, I’ll have a look through the shelves and see if anything catches my eye“.

Whatdoyaknow, this book was standing up on one of the shelves, facing out, and almost calling to me! I couldn’t believe it was right there! I didn’t even have to order it from a different branch! So, I figured it was fate, and I brought it home to read. LOL.

Two days ago, I picked it up — couldn’t decide on anything else to read — and within 4 hours I was half-finished the book already! LOL. Yesterday I finished reading… it was just THAT good!

The story starts off with Marta Nederman - a jew - near death in a Nazi prison camp at the end of WWII. She thinks she’s near death, anyway. Then she is rescued by an American soldier named Paul Mattison, and the attraction between them is instant.

The next thing you know, Marta wakes up in a recovery camp, and doesn’t know how to find Paul. But, as luck would have it, he shows up a couple of days later, and they go for a walk along the lake.

The story continues, with Marta moving on, and a couple of chance reunions with Paul. But, then –just when she’s to meet up with him again, she reads in the paper that his plane crashed in the English Channel. Marta grieves the loss of him for the next month or so, and then moves on, again…

Eventually, Marta ends up married to Englishman, Simon Gold. They are living in England, but work together in the Foreign Affairs office. Marta eventually ends up going back to Germany to do some “secret ops” stuff… and the plot thickens! ((I don’t want to give anything away, so I’ll stop here…))

This book was just fantastic! There is so much detail, and I really came to care for all of the characters! This is a story about first loves, reunions, war, and peace, and it could be classified as either a “romantic fiction” novel, or a “mystery/suspense” novel.

I really couldn’t put this book down! Definitely one I highly recommend!

Rated: A+

1 comment:

Victoria said...

Thanks for the comments! I love your blog, too! :)

Oh yes, "The Kommandant's Girl" was a great read. You should definitely read it! Marta is in that story as well, but as a (great) side character, and I was so glad to find out that she had her own story too. And going by your review of "The Diplomat's Wife" it looks like a good one as well, which is great to know. I can barely wait to get to it now! Lol, I think I'll be getting it from the library next week. Also it is good to hear "Inkspell" is a good read as well, Cornelia Funke is definitely one of my new favorite authors even though I've only read her "Inkheart" so far.

I wouldn't mind one bit if you borrowed those sidebar things. I did the same thing myself actually! Lol, I kept seeing them in other blogs around the web and decided to do it too because I liked it. :p