Monday, August 18, 2008

Calico Canyon by Mary Connealy



(Lassoed in Texas, book 2)

ISBN: 1597899380

Publisher: Barbour

Publication Date: July 1, 2008

Ms. Connealy has written a heart-warming tale about love, family, and God’s faithfulness. The main character, Grace, has endured much, but she has great strength of spirit which makes her a heroine to root for.

I think I’d have enjoyed this book more had I read the first book in the series (”Petticoat Ranch“). Having not read that, I felt somewhat lost when the book talked about Clay and Sophie McClellan and their brood. I had a hard time picturing the children in that family. This didn’t detract from the story, though.

One qualm I had with this tale was that the Reeves boys didn’t act their age. I kept picturing them as teenagers because of how they spoke, and how they behaved. Then the author would remind the reader that these boys were only five and ten years old! This threw me off every time.

The only other thing that bothered me in this story was that I was left hanging as to what happens with Grace’s sisters, Hannah and Libby. Maybe that will be revealed in a third book, but I kept expecting it to happen sometime in this story. That part of the tale wasn’t wrapped up neatly enough for me.

Overall, I did like this book. The story was very thought-out, and I was drawn into the tale, wondering how things would turn out. I will most likely go back and read book one, and then will be looking forward to trying future books by this author.

Rated: B-

((Thanks to Debbie Lykins of Sidedoor Communications for sending me this book to review!))

No comments: